Today we are going to do a combination of city sightseeing and traditional food introduction by walking from place to place in the centre of Reykjavik.
We will be getting ourselves acquainted with all kinds of landmarks and interesting buildings like the parliamentary building Alþingi (Althingi in English spelling), concert and opera hall Harpa, church Hallgrimskirkja, the old harbour, the pond and many more places.
Here is what you will see on the way:
- Hallgrimskirkja the famous church on the hill in Reykjavik. This is the starting point of the walking tour.
- Leifur Eiríksson statue outside the church and the history of Leif the Lucky.
- Walking down Skólavörðustígur street to the centre.
- Main shopping street Laugavegur and the history behind the name.
- Arnarhóll hill and the story of Ingólfur Arnarson, the first settler of Iceland.
- Harpa Concert and Opera Hall.
- Stjórnarráðið – House of Government.
- Austurvöllur with statue of Jón Forseti or President Jon.
- Alþingishúsið parliament building.
- The pond with the birds.
- The City Hall.
We will also be passing restaurants that I can recommend, going into an alcohol shop if week day and possible to point out and talk about all the different liquors, walking into a book store to see different kinds of spices, salts and jams from the Icelandic nature and history. We will also be passing the famous hot dog stand and going into the food section of the flea market (during weekends only) to learn a bit about Icelandic food. The guide will point out interesting restaurants, e.g. the most popular hot dog stand.
Please notice that food tasting is not included in this tour but you are welcome to take a few minutes on the way to grab a hot dog, buy alcohol, fermented shark or chocolates to have a taste if you like.
The duration of the tour is up to 3 hours so we try to do everything above within the timeframe but might have to make adjustments if time demands. Please inform the guide about your expectations at the beginning of the tour to ensure that your expectations are being met during the tour.